Thursday, July 19, 2012

Let's Get Crafty: Toile Tufted Bench

I bought 2 benches off Craiglist for $10 each.  Rhiannon was nice enough to pick them up and took them to Matt's garage -- what a sweet boy to let us craft in his garage!  Rhiannon and I were working one night and Matt came to move his Jeep to give us more space....apparently when you drive Monster Jeeps you don't see things low on the ground.  He crashed into both tables, one has now become a tester for different patterns and colors and the other was salvagable. 

The table looks like it was originally light wood, then painted navy, then painted black.  I gave it another coat of oil based black paint with the help of my friend Bailey who was in town.  I had orginally planned on stenciling a design because I bought a bunch of fun Martha Stewart stencils but I decided to do another tufted piece.

I drew out the design and drilled the holes. I tried to make these holes really clean because last time the needle kept getting caught on pieces of wood and it was VERY difficult to push the needle through.

Then, I sprayed the table and foam with adhesive. My mommy was here to help with this :).  I actually used a mattress pad instead of buying the expensive foam, it definitely works but isn't nearly as nice as the expensive foam.  I guess somtimes you have shell out the extra cash for it to be perfect.

I covered the foam with batting and stapled. Then, I placed the toile fabric over the batting.

Now for the tufting! This was so much easier than the first bench we did because of the cleaner holes but it still was a bit irritating.  We threaded the 6 inch embrodiery needle and pushed it up from the bottom of the table.  Then we threaded on the button and pushed the needle back through the table.  Rhiannon tied the knots and then stapled the thread to the bottom of the table.


Got a few done...

Almost there!




On the tufted coffee table I used nailhead trim but I decided to just use a braided rope trim on this one which I picked up from JoAnns.  I just used hot glue and glued it the entire way around.  Next time I will start in the middle so it isn't obvious where there 2 ends meet right on the corner.


Ta Da!







No comments:

Post a Comment